Horn Antennas Loaded with Metamaterial for UWB Applications
Mohamed Lashab, Hmeda I. Hraga, Raed A. Abd-Alhameed, C. Zebiri, Fatiha Benabdelaziz, and Steve M. R. Jones
Abstract:In this paper, a conical horn antenna has been designed for Ultra-Wideband applications by loading its section with a metamaterial. The work aims first to compare results obtained by the wavelet-moment method to a simulation performed using HFSS. Secondly the conical horn is loaded with a very thin layer of metamaterial to enhance the radiation pattern and the bandwidth performance of the conical horn antenna and reduce the size of the antenna. The operating bandwidth of the proposed antenna is in the range of 10-13 GHz. The results obtained from HFSS and moment method are in good agreement.
1. Akyurtlu, A. and D. H. Werner, "A novel dispersive FDTD formulation for modeling transient propagation in chiral metamaterials," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 9, 2267-2276, September, 2004.
2. Engheta, N., "An idea for thin subwavelength cavity resonators using metamaterials with negative permittivity and permeability," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 1, 10-13, 2002.
3. Erentok, A. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Two-dimensional efficient metamaterial-inspired electrically-small antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, July, 2007.
4. Zhu, F.-M. and J. Hu, "Improved patch antenna performance by using a metamaterial cover," Journal of Zhejiang University Science A, Vol. 8, No. 2, 192-196, 2007.
5. Wang, Y.-S., M.-F. Hsu, and S.-J. Chung, "A compact slot antenna utilizing a right/left-handed transmission line feed," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 3, 675-683, March, 2008.
6. Wu, B.-I., W. Wang, J. Pacheco, X. Chen, T. Grzegorczyk, and J. A. Kong, "A study of using metamaterials as antenna substrate to enhance gain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 51, 295-328, 2005.
7. Lier, E., "Review of soft and hard horn antennas, including metamaterial-based hybrid-mode horns," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, April, 2010.
8. Hui, W. W. G., J. M. Bell, M. F. Iskander, and J. J. Lee, "Low-cost microstrip-line-based ferrite phase shifter design for phased array antenna applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 86-89, 2007.
9. Ikram, S. and G. Ahmad, "Design & implementation of a standard gain horn antenna for optimized gain and radiation pattern using mathCAD & HFSS," Second International Conference on Electrical Engineering, University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan, March 25-26, 2008.
10. Luo, G. Q., W. Hong, H. J. Tang, J. X. Chen, X. X. Yin, Z. Q. Kuai, and K. Wu, "Filtenna consisting of horn antenna and substrate integrated waveguide cavity FSS," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 1, 92-98, January, 2007.
11. Lee, K.-H., C.-C. Chen, and R. Lee, "UWB dual-linear polarization dielectric horn antennas as reflector feeds," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 798-804, March, 2007.
12. Shafai, L., S. K. Sharma, B. Balaji, A. Damini, and G. Haslam, "Multiple phase center performance of reflector antennas using a dual mode horn," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3407-3417, November, 2006.
13. Yin, X.-C., C.-L. Ruan, S.-G. Mo, C.-Y. Ding, and J.-H. Chu, "A compact ultra-wideband microstrip antenna with multipole notches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 321-332, 2008.
14. Venkatarayalu, N. V., C.-C. Chen, F. L. Teixeira, and R. Lee, "Numerical modeling of ultrawide-band dielectric horn antennas using FDTD," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 5, 1318-1323, May, 2004.
15. Lier, E. and A. Kishk, "A new class of dielectric-loaded hybrid-mode horn antennas with selective gain: Design and analysis by single mode model and method of moments," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, January, 2005.
16. Diamantis, S. G., A. P. Orfanidis, and G. A. Kyriacou, "Conical horn antennas employing an offset moment method and mode matching technique," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1092-1095, March, 2009.
|© Copyright 2008 PIERS. All Rights Reserved.|