Design of 2 x 2 U-shape MIMO slot antennas with EBG material for mobile handset applications
Z. B. Zainal-Abidin, Y. Ma, Raed A. Abd-Alhameed, Khairun Nidzam Ramli, Dawei Zhou, Mohammad S. Bin-Melha, James M. Noras, and R. Halliwell
Abstract:A compact dual U-shaped slot PIFA antenna with Electromagnetic Bandgap (EBG) material on a relatively low dielectric constant substrate is presented. Periodic structures have found to reduce mutual coupling and decrease the separation of antenna and ground plane. A design with EGB material suitable for a small terminal mobile handset operating at 2.4 GHz was studied. Simulated and measured scattering parameters are compared for U-shaped slot PIFA antenna with and without EBG structures. An evaluation of MIMO antennas is presented, with analysis of the mutual coupling, correlation coe±cient, total active reflection coefficient (TARC), channel capacity and capacity loss. The proposed antenna meets the requirements for practical application within a mobile handset.
1. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 6, No. 3, 311-335, 1998.
2. Thaysen, J. and K. B. Jakobsen, "Wireless system: Design considerations for low antenna correlation and mutual coupling reduction in multi antenna terminals," Euro. Trans. Telecomms., 319-326, 2007.
3. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, 2nd Edition, Wiley, New York, 1998.
4. Qiong, W., P. Dirk, Z. Hui, and W. Klaus, "Diversity performance of an optimized meander PIFA array for MIMO handsets," Proceedings of the Forth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, 2010.
5. Chae, S. H., S.-K. Oh, and S.-O. Park, "Analysis of mutual coupling, correlations, and TARC in WiBro MIMO array antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 122-125, 2007.
6. Sievenpiper, D., "High impedance electromagnetic surfaces," Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, 1999.
7. Abidin, Z. Z., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, N. J. McEwan, and M. B. Child, "Analysis of the effect of EBG on the mutual coupling for two-PIFA assembly," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 473-476, 2010.
8. Zhao, Y., Y. Hao, and C. G Parini, "Radiation properties of PIFA on electromagnetic bandgap substrates," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, 21-24, 2005.
9. Blanch, S., J. Romeu, and I. Corbella, "Exact representation of antenna system diversity performance from input parameter description," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, 705-707, May 2003.
10. Moustakas, A. L., H. U. Baranger, L. Balents, A. M. Sengupta, and S. H. Simon, "Communication through a diffusive medium: Coherence and capacity," Science, Vol. 287, 287-290, 2000.
11. Shin, H. and J. H. Lee, "Capacity of multiple-antenna fading channels: Spatial fading correlation, double scattering, and keyhole," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Vol. 49, 2636-2647, 2003.
12. Abidin, Z. Z., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, N. J. McEwan, S. M. R. Jones, K. N. Ramli, and A. G. Alhaddad, "Design and analysis of UC-EBG on mutual coupling reduction," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 693-696, 2009.
|© Copyright 2008 PIERS. All Rights Reserved.|